Friday, April 12, 2013

Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup (Vegan & Gluteen-Free)

Check out this recipe in the new blog
 
 
www.nutrizonia.com
When I was young, sweet potato was just a seasonal vegetable. I dreaded eating it in the first time. Why I should I eat such an ugly thing? But, out of curiosity, I tried it and I loved it. But, unfortunately my parents stopped bringing it into the house for no reason.

When I got married, I become the one who is responsible for grocery shopping. At the beginning, I wanted to get everything my parents didn't bring to the house. So sweet potato wasn't on my list. Then when I start to become more aware of my food choices, I bought it and, I start to figure out what I can do with it.

I saw a sweet potato recipe in Lovely pantry blog. I said yes this is the recipe I need! So I decided to do my version.

Here you will need the following:
3 tbsp. sunflower oil.
I tbsp. of minced onion.
1 tsp. of minced garlic.
I tsp. of minced ginger.
3 medium carrots cut into cubes.
2 medium sweet potato cut into cubes.
3 cups of water.
1 cup of coconut milk (I used Thai . it's gluten free).
1 tsp. of salt, curry (gluten-free) and black pepper.

Heat the oil on medium heat, sauté the onion, garlic and ginger. Add sweet potato cubes, carrot cubes and water.Let them boil simmered for 30 min or, until the sweet potato and carrots are soft. Remove the cooker from the stove. Blend the soup, then returned it again to the stove. Add the coconut milk and seasonings, let it boil for 10 min. Then serve it hot.




This soup is vegan, gluten free and dairy free. If you want a rich soup, you may add chicken broth like Maggi cubes(it's gluten-free) instead of water, but it won’t be a vegan choice.

This soup will make four servings (1serving= 1 cup 240g)

 

If you compare fat and calories in this soup to the commercial ones, you may think this one is a high calorie one but, most of the calories in this recipe, comes from the coconut milk which has short and medium chain of fatty acids, that our body used it for energy instead of fat storage.

And the last thing is this soup is definitely low in sodium and it's very fulfilling, you won't feel hungry for hours!

Do you like sweet potato? How do you eat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment